Happy Monday loves! This morning I thought to myself, “I’ll just post a lovely wedding inspiration board to start the week off”. Then I thought why not start with something not only pretty, but pretty AND sweet. As some of you may know, I have a sweet tooth. There is no such thing as a “little” sweet tooth. I do, however, have a very discerning sweet tooth, and I don’t like to waste my excitement of having dessert only to be disappointed. So when David says, “Let’s try this new restaurant tonight” before answering I do a quick check online to see their dessert menu. If it isn’t good, I usually decline or say, “Only if we can go somewhere else for dessert.” No kidding I have! Dessert is a food group in my opinion!
Today’s is all about cake…a chocolate bar cake that is! It’s a cake that is baked inside of a chocolate bar and looks deliciously decadent doesn’t it?When I first saw this cake I thought it would be perfect for a wedding shower! Your friends would get a kick out of this clever cake. Or what about bringing it as a dessert to a holiday dinner party? You might outshine the hostess with this cake, I can hear you now saying, “ Oh it’s just something I just whipped up.” There are two different types of frosting for this cake; one is a hard dark chocolate frosting and the other is a fudgey frosting. Which one do you think you’d like more? I think we should try both just to be sure! Enjoy! Oh and be sure to check out the website La Receta de la Felicicdad for more “Sweet Eats”.
– 3 eggs room temperature, medium size
– 75 sugar (1/3 cup)
– 40 ml vegetable oil (1/5 cup)
– 75 g flour (2/3 cup)
– 1 tsp baking powder
-125 ml whipping cream, very cold (1/2 cup)
-1 tbs sugar
Chocolate frosting (two ways):
-First option (hard chocolate cover)
-350 g dark chocolate (12 oz)
Second option (fudgy chocolate cover)
-200 ml heavy cream (4/5 cup)
-50 g butter (3,5 tbs)
-250 g dark chocolate (9 oz)
- Start by making the cake. Preheat oven to 180 º C (350º F) and grease the mold (I used cake release spray). Place eggs and sugar in a medium bowl, and beat on high speed until thick and pale.
- Beat in the oil
- By hand, stir in the sifted flour and baking powder, and mix well
- Pour the mixture in the mold (fill 3/4 capacity) and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven, let it cool for about 15 minutes, and then unmold carefully and let cool completely.
- Then prepare whipped cream to fill the cake. In a bowl, place cream (very cold) and sugar, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Slice cake in two, and fill with the whipped cream. Then choose if you want a crunchy chocolate frosting, or a smoother one
- For a hard chocolate cover, choose “first option” ingredients.
- Clean the mold we used for baking the cake. Melt chopped chocolate (using a double boiler or the microwave)
- Pour it in the mold, until the bottom of the mold is completely covered with chocolate. Cut off the borders of the cake using a sharp knife, and place it inside the mould. Then fill the mold completely with chocolate, and place in the fridge for a couple of hours to set. Once set, remove the mold from the refrigerator, and unmold
- For a creamier chocolate cover, choose the “second option” ingredients. Pour cream on a medium saucepan, bring to boil, remove from heat, and add chopped chocolate and butter. Allow to rest for a few minutes, and then stir until dissolved.
- Place cake on a wire rack, and pour frosting over it, being careful to cover the cake completely. Place in the fridge for a couple of hours to set
How heavenly–happy Monday!